Margaritas are one of the most popular cocktails in the world, and for good reason. They’re refreshing, flavorful, and easy to customize to your liking. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps of making a classic margarita.
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. triple sec or orange liqueur
- Salt for rimming (optional)
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Begin by preparing your glass. If you prefer a salt rim, rub a lime wedge around the rim of a glass to moisten it, and then dip the rim in salt. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, fresh lime juice, and triple sec. Fill the shaker with ice, and shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds. This will thoroughly mix the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
- Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass over ice. If you prefer your margarita up, strain it into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best flavor. Bottled lime juice can be used in a pinch, but it won’t taste as fresh and bright as the real thing.
- Experiment with different types of tequila to find the one you like best. Blanco tequila is the traditional choice, but reposado or añejo tequilas can add interesting flavors to your margarita.
- Don’t be afraid to play with the ratios of the ingredients to suit your taste. Some people prefer a more tart margarita, while others like it sweeter.
With just a few simple ingredients and some shaking, you can make a delicious margarita at home. Whether you prefer yours on the rocks or up, with salt or without, this classic cocktail is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Cheers!